Friday, November 2, 2007

CMU has some great links for Cyber Security

In 1961, with the help of a friend, and spurred on by procrastinating my crystallography assignment, we programmed the first relatively primitive computer program for a multi-order quadratic equation to calculate the crystal lattice parameters of a tungsten-osmium compound. At that time, the Carnegie Institute of Technology (CIT) had a five story computer covered by a building operated by the Graduate School of Industrial Administration (GSIA). We used a little Bendix G-15 processor and punched tape. I'm not sure we got the right answer, but we got it faster than anyone else. Instead of turning in all my calculations, I just turned in the final iteration of the equation on punched tape. I got my paper back with an A+ and was called into the department head's office. He asked me how I did it and then immediately ran out of the room to the GSIA building to find out if there was such a thing as a remote terminal for the crystallography lab.

Since that time, CIT has progressed to become the Carnegie Mellon University (CMU). While I have putzed around with TIs, IBMs, and HPs, they have become what many believe to be the world's foremost authorities on robotics, hardware, programming, and cyber security. I have provided a link to one of the labs. If you can get there, you can get to the rest of the outfit. http://privacy.cs.cmu.edu/



Carnegie Mellon University [cm-today@andrew.cmu.edu]

No comments: